When to eat?
Eat when you feel hungry. “Nutritious” meals can be eaten three times a day, but frequent, small snacks or meals can help you consume the calories and protein you need without feeling full from a
MARINOL Use and Important Safety Information
MARINOL is used for loss of appetite associated with weight loss in patients with AIDS.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION1,2
MARINOL should not be used if you are allergic to dronabinol or any of its ingredients, including marijuana and sesame oil.
You should not drive, operate machinery, or engage in any hazardous activity until you know how this medication affects you and until you are sure you can perform such tasks safely.
While taking MARINOL, do not drink alcohol, smoke marijuana, or take other drugs that have an effect on the central nervous system such as Valium® (diazepam), Librium® (chlordiazepoxide), Xanax® (alprazolam), Seconal® (secobarbital), Nembutal® (pentobarbital), or phenobarbital. It is important to tell your doctor or pharmacist about all other prescription and non-prescription medicines you are taking as MARINOL use may change the effect of these medicines.
Be sure to tell your doctor if you:
- Have a history of seizure disorders and/or seizure-like activity because this has occurred in people taking MARINOL. If you experience a seizure, stop taking MARINOL and seek medical attention immediately
- Have or had heart problems because you may experience low or high blood pressure, fainting, or fast heart rate
- Have current issues with or a history of drug and alcohol abuse
- Have or had mental health problems (mania, depression, schizophrenia) because MARINOL may make these illnesses worse
- Are pregnant or nursing or become pregnant
MARINOL should be used with caution in pregnancy, nursing mothers or children because it has not been studied in these populations.
Caution is advised when using this drug in the elderly because they may be more sensitive to the effects of the drug.
You may experience changes in mood or have other effects when first taking MARINOL. Be sure that there is a responsible person nearby when you first take MARINOL or when there is an adjustment in your dose.
Do not smoke marijuana while using MARINOL. This can cause an overdose.
Adverse effects you may experience include feeling high, dizziness, confusion, or sleepiness.
If you cannot afford your medication, contact: www.pparx.org or call the
References: 1. MARINOL [prescribing information].